South China University of Technology (SCUT; simplified Chinese: 华南理工大学; traditional Chinese: 華南理工大學; pinyin: Huánán Lǐgōng Dàxué, orally known as Huágōng 华工) is a major public university in China. It is located in the Tianhe District and Panyu District of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong Province, China. It is a multidisciplinary university focusing on engineering, combined with science, also promoting well coordinated development of management, economics, humanities and law. Its engineering ranks top 50 among world universities according to Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
- Formerly known as the South China Institute of Technology（华南工学院）, it was established in 1952, through a reorganization process that unified the engineering schools and departments of major universities from five provinces in central and Southern China, including the former National Sun Yat-sen University, Lingnan University, Hunan University, Guangxi University, South China Joint University, and four others.
- In 1960, it was selected as one of 33 National Key Universities, under the direct administration of the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- The University was renamed as South China University of Technology in 1988.
- In 1995, it was selected as one of the universities into which China will make significant investment in the 21st century as part of Project 211.
- In 1999, it was rated “excellent” during the Undergraduate Teaching Assessment, and was among the first “Excellent Universities of Undergraduate Education” in the country. In the same year, a national science park was established with the authorization of the State Ministry of Technology and State Ministry of Education.
- In 2000, authorization was given for the establishment of a Graduate School.
- In 2001, it became one of the 39 national universities sponsored by Project 985.
Campuses and Schools
There are two SCUT campuses, both located in Guangzhou: Wushan Campus (or North Campus) and Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center Campus (or South Campus). The headquarters of the university are on the Wushan Campus. Of SCUT’s 28 schools, 17 are located on the Wushan Campus, while the remaining 11 schools are on the Guangzhou HEMC Campus.
Wushan Campus (North Campus)
Address: Wushan Rd., Wushan Subdistrict, Tianhe District, Guangzhou
Area: 1.83 km²
- School of Architecture
- School of Automation Science & Engineering
- School of Business Administration (Association of MBAs accredited)
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- School of Civil and Transportation Engineering
- School of Electric Power
- School of Electronic and Information Engineering
- School of Food Science and Engineering
- School of Foreign Languages
- School of Ideology and Politics
- School of Light Industry and Engineering
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Mathematics
- School of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering
- School of Physical Education
- School of Physics and Optoelectronic Technology
- School of Public Administration
Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center Campus (South Campus)
Address: Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center or Xiaoguwei Subdistrict, Panyu District, Guangzhou
Area: 1.12 km²
- School of International Education
- School of Arts
- School of Bioscience and Bioengineering
- School of Computer Science & Engineering
- School of Design
- School of Economics and Commerce
- School of Environment and Energy
- School of Journalism and Communication
- School of Law
- School of Software Engineering
- School of Medicine
Address: Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Centre,Panyu District,Guangzhou,P.R.China