Jinan University (JNU) is a public research and comprehensive university based in Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. It is one of the oldest universities established on mainland China tracing back to the Qing dynasty (1644–1911). Its mission is to spread Chinese learning and culture from North to South, and from China overseas. Jinan University was the first university in China to recruit foreign students, and is currently the Chinese university with the largest number of international students.
In 1996, it was included in the state’s Project 211 for development of key universities. It is a university administered by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and the Chinese Ministry of Education.
In 1906, Duanfang, the Viceroy of Liangjiang, submitted a memorandum to the Guangxu Emperor, proposing that an overseas Chinese school be set up for the purpose of spreading far and wide the enlightening influence of education and strengthening the emotional ties with compatriots overseas. The Guangxu Emperor approved of his proposal and thus Duanfang was honored as the founder of Jinan University. On March 23, 1907. Jinan Academy was founded in Nanjing, becoming the first of its kind in Chinese history and serving as a curtain-raiser for the later development of overseas Chinese education.
In 1927, Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University, located in Shanghai. After the founding of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) in 1949, Jinan University was closed and its schools were merged with those of other university such as Fudan University. In 1958, Jinan University was reestablished in Guangzhou.
The name “Jinan” (also Chi-Nan “reaching southward”) comes from the Classic of History, a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient Chinese history. The articles reads, “His speech and teachings spread from South, from China to the rest of the world.
- 1906 – Jinan Academy, the predecessor of Jinan University was established in Nanjing.
- 1918 – Jinan Academy moved to Shanghai.
- 1927 – Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University.
- 1941-1946 – Jinan University moved to Fujian Province during the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- 1949 – Jinan National University was merged into Fudan University and Jiaotong University.
- 1958 – Jinan University was re-established in Guangzhou.
- 1983 – Jinan University pioneered in the country the implementation of credit system.
- 1996 – Jinan University passed the pre-examination of the “211 program” related department and was put into the “top 100 normal universities” list, which would get prior construction in the 21st century.
- 2001 – College of Journalism and Communication, College of Information Science and Technology, College of Foreign Studies, Pharmacy College, Law School and International School were established.
- 2002 – Jinan University started to launch EMBA Program with approval from the Degree Administration Office of the State Council. As one of the first group of universities.
- 2006 – The celebration ceremony of the 100th Anniversary of Jinan University was held.
- 2011 – The Graduate School of Jinan University was established.
- 2014 – The new campus was established in Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center.
Location and campus
The university has five campuses:
- Main campus, Tianhe District, Guangzhou
- College of Chinese language and culture, Guangzhou
- new campus, Guangzhou (Completed in 2014)
- Zhuhai Campus, Zhuhai
- Tourism College, Shenzhen
Jinan University has 27 colleges, comprising 59 departments and offering 89 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 departments offer master’s degree programs and 19 departments offer Ph.D degree granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 182 research institutes and 77 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university also has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. Still, the university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 50,535 students in the university, including 10,767 graduates and 22,527 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 13,512.
The current president of the university is Dr. Hu Jun. It has recently started a new undergraduate course MBBS, with Indian students mainly.
Colleges and schools
- International School
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Foreign Studies
- College of Journalism and Communication
- College of Arts
- College of Economics
- Management School
- Law school
- Department of international studies
- College of Intellectual Property
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Information Science and Technology
- College of Life Science and Technology
- Medical school
- The First Clinical Medical School
- The Second Clinical Medical School
- Pharmacy College
- College of Chinese Language and Culture
- School of Humanities
- School of Translation Studies
- International Business School
- College of Electrical & Information
- Shenzhen Tourism College of Jinan University
- Education College
Address: No.601 West Road of HuangPu, Tianhe District, Guangzhou